In this series of blog posts I will attempt to document all my efforts, from start to finish, for building a reusable Asp.Net Mvc2 Application Template. My goal in this endeavor is to establish a Visual Studio application template that can be easily used upon request and uses best practices and technologies.
Some of the technologies being used are not the absolute latest. For this project I plan on using the following:
- Visual Studio 2008
- Asp.Net Mvc2
- T4 Templates with T4Toolbox
- Subversion with VisualSVN, TortoiseSvn, and AnkhSVN
- Fluent NHibernate
- plus who knows what else will make it into the project?
My goals for the end of the project are:
- To have a Visual Studio application template that facilitates rapid application development with these features
- Automated code generation based upon the designed data model
- Extendable membership/role/profile providers
- Data validation on client and server
- Single code updates to the core are reflected in all releases
- Complete suite of test cases
- A coding utopia!
- Automated builds from version control
- Automated deployment from version control
By the end of the project, we’ll see how close I can get and if other more pressing projects trump this one.
In the next installment we’ll setup Subversion and add the initial auto-generated application code to source control.